Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Paas..phir bhi door...

Last year saw Deepika Padukone as the brand ambassador for The Jewels of India show. The whole of Bangalore was dotted with posters of a very pretty Deepika sporting both ethnic and trendy jewellery. This move showed that the organizers intended to promote jewellery-buying as a serious business. This year, the show had the actress Shobana as the brand ambassador and indeed I would not have wished for a more suitable actress, with character, dignity and grace personified, to host this event.



All said and done, Saturday saw me being dragged from one corner of the KanTeerava Stadium to another, thanks to the three ladies who had accompanied me to the show. Well......ladies that they are, they rushed off towards the section showcasing what I jokingly refer to the “antique” jewellery consisting of those worn for weddings.....no make it big, fat Indian weddings.



I paused to draw a breath amidst the chaos that had ensued during four in the evening. For a person seldom used to wearing any heavy jewellery, trying out those chosen by three ‘bossy’ woman made me seriously think of escape. And I did, to a less-crowded stall where the displays were very few in number. My wandering eyes were caught by one particular set – a pair of earrings and matching pendant. Set in in (what I thought) was silver with a green stone drop I could not think of a better word than ‘classic’ to describe it. The guy behind the counter carefully laid it on a velvet tray – the very act triggered slight alarm bells – were the piece so delicate?



Of all the jewellery, I had to choose one which was worth (only) half a lakh.....and was set in white gold :-)! My response of buying the set in around ten years elicited a smile from the salesman...and a promise ;-)!



Tee hee...... yuxpensive tastes, yup..... that’s me ......*deep-bow*


9 comments:

Sujit said...

oh! man!... very economical lady :p.. but i heard that while gold is not so used in india?.. like here people use only white gold!... while there its only yellow gold!.. whats hte diff?.. is it the attraction? or something else?

Chitra said...

-/Sujit
Tee hee..thanks! I feel white gold is more chic...and ya..classic (right now I can see that set dancing in front of my eyes.. :)..)

Sujit said...

oh ho!.. so you flying in air!.. with the gold :D.. ?

Chitra said...

-/Sujit
Hardly :( !! The security was tight..

Sujit said...

oh! thats sad :(.. next time take a invisible mask :D

Chitra said...

-/Sujit
Wow...sooper suggstion. How about an invisible cloak, eh? :)

Sujit said...

not bad!.. sooper idea :D..:)

Avinash said...

Problem is heavy purse *heavy taste* not always go together... :P

Chitra said...

-/Sujit
Good..now you can think of inventing one...;)!

-/Avi
Illvo...that set was really good...sighhhhhhhhhhhh.....