Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Moodmaker

“It’s the age of remixes” so goes the tag-line of Radio City’s hottest talent hunt – that for a Remix Raja.

My reaction – Bah! Too much hype for nothing at all!

It’s not that I do not like remixes – some, like Bheegi bheegi raaton mein (Leslie Lewis), are good without any loud additions. It’s just that in rehashing the original composition, some degree of melody, effect and the expected response is lost. And most of the times, a remix is so pathetic (yuck) that it fails to evoke any answering sentiments among the listeners (read it as yours truly).

If one can observe the recent trend in music especially that of Hindi film-hits, the songs have remixes stamped all over them. Almost all films have the same song in at least two versions, ek original aur ek remix. And I can only plug my ears when I hear the remix version -one big cacophony of techno music and loud beats with the song squeezed somewhere between them.....

So, it was no wonder that I got annoyed when three remixes got played in a row, one among them being Tu hi meri shab hain (from Gangster). Grrrrrrr.........So, when the next song was touted to be from Salaam Namaste, I almost switched off my headset – I did NOT want to hear “My Dil goes Umm”; my patience was already thoroughly tested by these (dabba) remixes. Instead I heard this......and it was as if melody was revived.

Tu jahaan main wahaan
Sang sang yun chalu tere
Jaise teraa aasmaan

Jo dhoop nikli chaaya ban jaaoonga
.....Jo ho tu akeli saaya ban jaaoonga
.......... Jo uljhan mein ho mann main behlaaoonga

Tum aa gaye ho toh jeena aaya hain
.....Khushiya ka tumne yeh jaal bichaya hain
..........Khoya hain khudko yah sab kutch paaya hain

Tu jahaan main wahaan
Sang sang yun chalu tere
Jaise tera aasmaan

Ho gam ke badal mujhpe tham jaane de
.....Bechainiyon ko mujhse takrane de
..........Dukhti ho koi baat mujhpe aane de

Dil sochta tha ke koi apna ho
.....Koi raaz na ho jo uss se rakhna ho
..........Aankhein na kholu main shayad sapna ho

Tu jahaan main wahaan
Sang sang yun chalu tere
Jaise tera aasmaan

I loved this
oasis in the desert......

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok-for the ignorant-which song was that?
-j

Chitra said...

-/Jyo
You wannt the situation in which this song was sung?

Anonymous said...

na-me dint get the song's name...
so me guessing its from 'my heart goes hmmm'?
-j

Chitra said...

-/Jyo
Song's is Tu Jahaan from Salaam Namaste. Yaavaga haaDu barathe antha marethu hogiddeene - I was drowsy throughout the film.

Khushi said...

ohh, i dint know that there was some meaningful song (atleast) in that movie... :-O

Chitra said...

-/Khushi
Ide kaNe. This is good. Yaava sequence alli barathe antha gotilla !

Anonymous said...

i loooove that song chitra... i keep listening to it very often. good to see it in your blog!

Chitra said...

-/AA
Wow...cool kaNe!! Not many people even know about that song !

Anonymous said...

I wandered into your space from other blogs. Nice blog you have here. When I read your Mangalore trip blogs, I just went back to my childhood when I used to visit my uncle in Bellary every summer. :-) Coming to this one, that is a very nice song and I like it very much. And I too hate remixes. For some reason, I just never find the soul and mood of the original in remix. Chow for now. Keep blogging.

JK

Chitra said...

-/JK
Hey...thanks JK!

angada said...

"Almost all films have the same song in at least two versions, ek original aur ek remix"

There is a 3rd version, though not ver obvious --- remix ka remix! Thats the most pathetic of them (though people can argue that it is just a remix)

direkishore said...

Reminds me of another song which goes on similar lines, listen to it if you havent, this one is by Lata. Some haunting music by Madan Mohan.

Tu Jahaan Jahaan Chalega
Mera Saaya Saath Hoga

Chitra said...

-/Kishore
Yup..and a very good one at that!

Chitra said...

-/Angada
Sheesh...ya...I heard that from 'Humko Deewaana Kar Gaye'.